The rights of our patients will be recognized by the Passamaquoddy Health Center in accordance with the following:
- Patients will be treated with respect, consideration, dignity and compassion in a safe setting, regardless of age, gender, religion, sexual orientation, or disability.
- Patients are to be assured confidential treatment of their care, disclosures and records except when required by law. Patients are then afforded the opportunity to approve or refuse such release of information.
- Patients are able to request a copy of (or parts of) their medical records.
- Patients are to be provided complete information regarding their diagnosis, treatment and prognosis, to all degrees known.
- Patients shall be given the opportunity to participate in decisions involving their health care including refusing treatment and being informed of any possible medical consequences of refusing treatment, to the degree known.
- Patients shall be provided information regarding recourse for voicing grievances and/or recommendations to the PHC staff and Administration concerning PHC services or policies.
We at the PHC do everything in our power to see that our patients receive ready and comprehensive health care and that the costs are taken care of quickly and efficiently. You, as the patient, have certain responsibilities which help in this process. Your cooperation will ensure that you are able to receive the services you need. It is your responsibility to:
- Keep your registration information up-to-date and correct. This includes informing us of any changes to your address, documentation of eligibility, telephone number, and insurance. This may affect your eligibility for services.
- Notify the Health Centers of any change in your health insurance, Medicare or Medicaid policies. Changes may affect the determination of your eligibility for Purchased/Referred Care Services.
- Take your insurance forms to the vendors office. These forms could be from your employers policy, Medicare/Medicaid forms or your Medicaid/Medicare card. Ask the receptionist there whether or not they file the forms for you. If not then you must do so yourself.
- Notify the Health Centers within 72 hours of any emergency room visit. You must sign a “Release of Information” form at the Hospital or Health Center so our staff can obtain a copy of your medical record.
- Bring copies of all necessary paperwork (Emergency Room Bill or Other Bills Received) promptly so your bills can be considered for payment.
- Call the Health Center at least 24 hours in advance if you can not keep your appointment.
- Not be more than 10 minutes late for an appointment or we will need to reschedule.
- Understand that patients under the age of 18 that are non-emancipated minors will not be seen without a parent or guardian present, except as it may relate to reproductive health care provided through the Medical Unit.
- Be polite to and considerate of other patients, all PHC providers and staff, and to treat them with respect and courtesy.
- Follow the instructions and advice of your treatment plan(s) as prescribed by your medical provider or pharmacist, and inform them of any harmful reactions you have.
- Provide accurate and complete information regarding medical history (illness and medications) and any other matters related to your health status.
- Provide PHC with a copy of any advance directive (living will, health care proxy, or durable power of attorney) or other documents that could affect your care.
Know payment of emergency room services, not considered an emergency, is your responsibility.